Thursday, December 11, 2014

I'm retired......

"Retirement may be an ending, a closing, but it is also a new beginning." Catherine Pulsifer


For the last 18 years, but more specifically for the last 4 years, I have lived for the weekend.  All week long at work, Monday through Thursday, I would say I can’t wait for Friday to get here; to be able to spend time with the people I love the most rather than being at work in a job that was no longer fulfilling or satisfying.  And as we did that slow march toward Friday EVERY week I also realized that we were getting closer and closer to our own mortality, both mine and Si’s.  I wanted to rush through the week to get to Friday, but I didn’t want to rush towards the end of life.  There’s a fine line between wanting the workweek to be over and knowing we’re getting closer to a life being over.  

One of the reasons for choosing to retire now instead of waiting a few more years is that Si is 12 years older than I am.  And since we aren’t guaranteed tomorrow and we don’t know when our time on earth is up, I didn’t want to be thinking I could have, I should have, or I wished I would have retired to spend more time with him while we are able to enjoy it.  So, now that I have retired, I no longer have to be concerned with getting to Friday.  Every day is now, in essence, my weekend, and every day I now have the freedom to spend all my time with Si and my family.

I am free to do whatever I want, when I want.  It’s a wonderful feeling and I am so excited to begin this new chapter of our lives.









No comments:

Post a Comment