Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Ashley's Graduation


Ashley had her pinning ceremony at 11 AM on May 14th. Her sisters, Talan, Kellie, Jay and Jeremy were there for the big moment.




Jennifer, Ashley, Jayme and Joanna







Jay and Ashley




















Talan was NOT a happy camper when mommy wasn't holding him.












Kellie and Ashley



It was really quite moving. Ashley had asked me to "pin" her and I was very honored. But as I sat in my seat waiting for our turn to go on stage and do the actual pinning, I went from pride, to sadness (another milestone passes), to nervous. I was going to have to get up on stage and put Ashley's BSN pin on her in front of a bunch of people. Nevermind, that there were other people doing the exact same thing that I was going to do. I don't do crowds real well. So, as I sat there waiting, I practiced and practiced; taking the back off and putting it on; taking the back off and putting it on. It was finally our (Si and Jay joined me) turn to go on stage. As Ashley approached from one side of the stage, we moved to our spot to wait for her from the other side. I was so focused on Ashley coming towards me that I was completely oblivious to everyone and everything else around me. All the graduates had written a "thank-you" to the people important to them. Its a good thing Ashley shared her "speech" with me a couple weeks prior to this, as I heard none of what was said. I did hear her family in the audience shouting "yea, Ashley" and "woohoo" for Ashley, but that was it. My practice paid off because I managed to get her pin on on the very first try; and right side up at that. We had been warned by Ashley the night before that the graduates had been given rules to follow on stage. These rules were supposed to be followed by everyone on stage. There was supposed to be NO hugging, kissing, etc. in order to try and keep things moving quickly. However, everyone before us was hugging or kissing their child or spouse, so I gave Ashley a quick hug and then the four of us posed for a picture. Jay later teased Ashley that he didn't even get a kiss on stage from her. Ashley's a big rule follower!!!

Then, that evening at 7 PM, was the actual graduation. Ashley walked the stage and received her diploma. It was a great moment. I know Ashley worked hard and stressed about all her classes this senior year. But it all paid off. Ashley graduated cum laude and we are so proud of her.


Ashley and her friend, Jessica.

1 comment:

  1. Yeeaaahhh Ashley! I would have followed the rules too!

    ReplyDelete