
Last night, as we were sitting on the couch watching various shows on TV, we at times would stop on parts of the inauguration celebrations. At one point, Ashley said, “I wish I was black.” The reason behind her statement? The joy that most black Americans were feeling on this historic day………it was something she wanted to experience herself. I think I understand how she feels. Think about it. You can’t deny that racism exists here in the US. You can’t deny that most Americans never thought they’d see the day when a black man would become President. Whether or not you voted for Obama, you have to feel, as an American, that this is quite an accomplishment; not only for Obama himself, but for the United States. So, the fact that Barack Obama (a man with a foreign sounding last name) has made history by becoming the first black President of the United States (a nation founded by slaveholders), must give black people a tremendous sense of pride and inspiration. And although white America, too, can experience a sense of pride at what has transpired, we will never really understand the feeling in the same way a black American will.
Maybe this is the start of a truly UNITED States of America. Where we are all Americans; undifferentiated by race, color, or creed.
We certainly seem to be entering a new era - you can feel it. Saw a great article about the history of Barak and Michelle's families today on the New York Times - I thought it was quite good - read it if you get the chance: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/21/us/politics/21family.html
ReplyDelete