Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving 2008

"Thanksgiving is possible only for those who take time to remember; no one can give thanks who has a short memory." ~Author Unknown

Allow me, on this Thanksgiving Day, 2008 to remember and to give my thanks.

I am thankful for Si, my husband of 33 years. I am thankful for the wonderful life he has given me; for all that we have shared and all that we hope to share.

I am thankful for my four daughters and their husband/fiance; Jennifer and Randy, Joanna and Billy, Jayme and Jeremy, Ashley and Jay. I am thankful that they have found one another and have someone to share their hopes, dreams and futures with.

I am thankful for my son Aaron and his new wife, Jeanne. I am so happy that they too have found each other.

I am thankful for all the success our children have had. I continue to be amazed everyday at all they have become and I couldn't be any prouder of all of them.

I am thankful to all the families of Randy, Billy, Jeremy, Jay and Jeanne for making our children a part of their family. We are all enriched by our extended family.
"The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other's life." Richard Bach

I am thankful for Talan, our first grandchild. I'll be the first to admit, I was a little apprehensive about Jennifer and Randy having a baby so soon after getting married, but God has a purpose in everything and he saw fit to give us this wonderful gift. I couldn't imagine our lives without him now. And soon Aaron and Jeanne will share another gift from God with us, "Baby Sharghi." We can't wait.
"A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on." Carl Sandburg

I am thankful that Si and I were able to attend Aaron's wedding in Africa this past September. And thankful for the new friends we made on the trip. The memories will last us a lifetime.

I am thankful for my mother taking on the challenge of coming to visit us this year for Christmas. Our Christmas will be all the more special because she is here to share it with us. And I am thankful for all the love and support she has given me all these years.
"All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my Mother." (I'm not sure who actually said this, but it's a quote Joanna shared with me.)

I am thankful for my brother Gerald and his wife Kathleen. I am happy that they can share their lives with each other.

I am thankful for Ann, Kim and Megan -- for being part of our family, and for the wonderful life they gave my brother, John.

I am thankful for my brother John. He was a source of many happy memories and I will treasure those always. I am especially thankful that I was able to make that one last trip to Virginia to see him.

I am thankful for all of the Howletts and friends of John and Ann's for helping to make John's life so full and rich. To Christine and Pam, I can't thank you enough for all the support you gave to everyone, myself included; to Christine for holding down the fort at home so Ann could be with John, and Pam, for helping by sitting at the hospital with John when Ann needed some rest. Words can't express my gratitude. And I'm thankful for the support you have given and continue to give Ann and the girls.

I am thankful for the memories of my Dad; for the life he gave to all of us and the times we had with him; going to Ohio and Indiana every summer; the three years of adventures we shared in Europe---especially the funny ones...........Lignano Pineta, Italy -- "mice / ice" ; riding down the street sitting on the back seat of the Buick convertible and getting stopped by the local police...........(you had to be there); to all of the spring breaks, summers, and Christmases in Florida; to the visits to Texas and the love he showed his grandchildren. I am thankful he was able to retire when he did and was able to live his dream; moving to Florida, buying a boat and sailing the Gulf and sharing all of this with the woman he loved.

I am also thankful for the memories of my sister, Jan and of what she gave to our family. I'd like to think she made me a more understanding and compassionate person. I am thankful that Jennifer and Joanna have memories of her and the times they shared with her in Florida.

I am thankful for my friend, Mindy, who with her presence at work makes my job just a little more bearable. She brings a sense of humor to everything and without her my job would be just boring and mundane.

I am thankful for everyone else who has touched my life.


"You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them."
- Desmond Tutu

I am thankful for the family that God has given to me. I love each and everyone of you!

1 comment: