Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Welcome Parker Grayson Shirley

 Parker Grayson Shirley decided to make his appearance in this world 4 weeks early.  He was born at 8:00 pm on December 12th, weighing 6 pounds, 3 ounces and 18 inches long.

Si and I had gone to Houston, actually Cypress, to spend the weekend with Joanna and Billy.  We got there on Friday and headed home on Sunday after a fun weekend.  We got to Hillsboro, about 45 minutes left in our 4 hour drive, and Joanna called to tell me she was experiencing contractions; timing them at 5 minutes apart and lasting for about a minute.  I told her to call her doctor and they would probably tell her to go to the hospital to see if she was actually in labor.  Well, we get all the way home and at 4:23 Billy calls to tell us she is in labor and dilated to a 4!  Are you kidding Parker?  You wait till we get all the way home?
So, I'm frantically running around, repacking, and texting the sisters to see who's going to drive back down to Cypress with me that evening.  Ashley was the only one who was able to go, so we made plans to meet on 35 south of 20 at 5:30 so Si could drop me off.  Got ahold of Billy's mom, Kelly, and she decided to ride with us too.  We were talking to Billy and texting with him the whole way.  At about 6:30, Billy texted me to tell us Joanna was dilated to a 6-7.  We're going as fast as we can and telling Billy to tell Parker to slow down; hoping we can get there before he's actually born.  At 7:09, Billy texted me to tell me they were taking Joanna back for an emergency C-Section.  By now we're all a little frantic,  and I'm just sick that I'm not there with Joanna.  And worried about why they are having to do the C-Section and what is wrong.  I texted Billy to ask him why they were doing the C-Section and Billy called to tell us that Joanna's blood pressure was high and apparently, Parker had had a bowel movement in the womb and that they needed to get Parker out right away.  Poor Billy.  He was outside the OR talking to us and only knew Parker was born because he heard him crying.

Ashley, Kelly and I finally got to the hospital about 10.  They brought Parker in about 10:15 and that was Joanna's first time to see him and hold him.  I know Joanna was worn out but she was so happy to hold her son.  The RN wanted Joanna to nurse Parker as soon as she brought him in, so she did.  Then the RN came in about 11 and told us we needed to go, so Joanna could "relax" which would hopefully help to bring her blood pressure down some.  So, our getting to hold Parker was going to have to wait till Monday.
Kelly, Ashley and I got up Monday and did a few things around the house -- started some laundry and put together the swing they had gotten.  Only to find out the darn swing was defective and wouldn't turn on.  We found a Babies R Us on the way to the hospital and stopped to exchange it.  Then finally to the hospital.  Billy was holding Parker when we walked into the room, but he gave him to me.  What a rush!  Being a Grandma again.  That feeling will never get old!   I held him for a few minutes and then gave him to Kelly, telling her I knew how long she had been waiting for her first grandchild and welcoming her to the Grandmother Club!  Kelly then passed him off to Ashley, who cuddled on him like a good Aunt does. Then we all passed him around, sharing in the beauty of adding another member to our family!  It was hard leaving yesterday but I'm going back on Thursday to spend the weekend with Joanna, Billy, and Parker.  I can't wait.  Parker, we're so glad you're here and thankful that you and your mom are both doing well.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful, sweet grandbaby! Congratulations to you, Si and the entire Sharghi family! Please give our best to Joanna and Billy. What a GREAT Christmas present! Hope to see you soon.

    Kim and Joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet!!!!! I know you guys are just thrilled! Glad to hear Mommy and baby are doing wonderful! You guys have a big year ahead with Jenn expecting too. That's so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete