Friday, before I left work, I made my routine trip to the ladies room. I'm in the stall finishing up and hear two more people come into the bathroom. Imagine my shock and surprise when I came out of the stall to find two Hispanic men in the ladies room, one already in the third stall doing his thing. Apparently, the one guy getting ready to enter the middle stall was a little surprised too, quickly figuring out that he and his friend were in the wrong place.
Come on people. I don't really care if you learn to speak fluent English if you are going to live here, but I do expect that you would learn some basic little words such as men (gentlemen) and women (ladies), just to avoid a situation such as I encountered. It's not that hard. Senor (hombre), senora-senorita; monsieur, mesdames-mademoiselle; herr (manner), frau (damen). The only county I ever lived in was Germany. The rest of them, I learned just from traveling. Some things are just basic.
I guess I shouldn't be surprised that so many Hispanics don't learn English. Apparently, we are required to learn their language, but they don't have to learn ours. The WalMart ads are in Spanish, the billboards around town are in Spanish; you can go take your driver's test in Spanish; heck you can even sign up to vote in Spanish! Everywhere you go here in the DFW area, accommodations are made for non-English speaking Hispanics. No wonder they have no motivation to learn the language.
Estoy tan frustrado por todo esto. Aprender el idioma.
No comments:
Post a Comment