
Well, I decided, after encouraging Jennifer to create a blog for Talan so she could share pictures and events in his life, that I should also create a blog to share my feelings of being a grandmother and the effect that Talan and all subsequent grandchildren have on my life. Temporarily titled, Grandma's blog, since I'm not sure whether I will be Grandma, Nana, or (God forbid) Mammy. It seems that Jayme has gotten quite a kick out of "naming" me Mammy, on behalf of Talan. I keep telling everyone that it won't be Mammy, but the way all the kids use it all the time, it will probably stick. And if it does, I will, forever, hate the fact that that is my name. It sounds like something from the OLD south; not something a YOUNG grandma like me should be called. So, I am hoping that by the time Talan is starting to talk that something other than Mammy will come out of his mouth.
So, anyways, looking at the picture of Talan, you see the current inspiration for my blog. I have been through childbirth, myself, 4 times, but being the person giving birth and actually seeing a birth are completely different. Completely different!! I was honored to be asked by Jennifer to be in the room with her and Randy during Talan's birth. And watching my first grandchild being born gave me a whole new perspective on the miracle of a new life coming into this world. There is a country song out now by George Strait called "I Saw God Today." Well, I know I saw God the day Talan was born. What a miracle. March 18, 2008; 6:36 PM, 8 lbs. 2 oz, 20 1/2 inches long. 10 fingers, 10 toes and all the right equipment. He is just perfect.
People who have grandchildren have told me that a new love begins with the birth of a grandchild. I wasn't quite sure how that could be possible, until I held Talan. When Randy handed Talan to me shortly after his birth, I looked at this newest member of our family and I felt this incredible feeling of love and pride well up from within me. I only wish Jennifer and Randy didn't live so far away. I miss Talan when I don't get to see him and although Jennifer sends us pictures almost every day, it is not the same as getting to see him and hold him.
So, who exactly is reading your blog? I wasn't informed of this big event :-) Congratulations Grandma.
ReplyDelete